Monday 20 January 2014

Snakes and Sleeping Bags....

Among my many and varied friends is Ali Treeman, who is definitely the most "varied" of them all, and he used to carry round this very nice
little python called Smeagle.

Now Smeagle was a really friendly snake and he even had a friendly little face, seriously.... made a good anti theft device to as Ali often wrapped Smeagle around the handle bars on his bike... or in his crash helmet.....

Now I was camping for the weekend over at the Edwardstone White Horse for its spring bank holiday beer festival and was, steadily, working my way through the beer list when Ali arrived and proceeded to catch me up.....

Problem was, though, that Ali had brought Smeagle, in his pillow case, but not a tent.....
So I suggested that he share with me, as I had a 4 man tent and only me in it.

It was a really good evening, as usual, but then again cant think of a bad evening at the Horse as Cliff and Penny ran an amazing little, out in the sticks, place with bar billiards, shove ha'pny and no electronic games...

So when Cliff finally kicks us all out we stagger back to the tent and crash........

Now Smeagle had been in his pillow case all evening but when I was startled awake at 2 o'clock in the morning I realized that this was no longer the case as the "thing" I had hold of, by my neck was in fact he...

Can only be glad that I used to wake up alert, in those days, and I immediately let go.... And Smeagle just, calmly, carried on down inside my sleeping bag........ a mummy style bag..........  not a big roomy square one.....

Guess he thought my sleeping bag was warmer than his pillow case...

But I now had, more than, a slight problem as Smeagle was wrapping himself around my thighs.....

Actually had two BIG problems as.........
One.... I had no idea which way his head was facing, or where it was....
Two... I move about A LOT in my sleep....

So I am there punching Ali and calling him, just, a few things.... but would he wake up.... NO... not on your life... or on the life of important parts of my anatomy.....

Longest night of my life...... Not that I did not trust the snake but if I went to sleep and started rolling over then something was going to get bitten or crushed.....

And to cap it all when he did, finally, wake up, and I informed him of events, he simply shrugged he shoulders, smiled, and said " Well I guess your warmer than me"

Thanks Ali......



No comments:

Post a Comment