Monday 6 January 2014

Great Danes and Other Animals

Great Danes and Other Animals

Up before 7 today, bit of a shock to the system, as the old Honda is in for new rear brake pipes, ready for its MOT. And they have this adorable Great Dane."guard" dog who, after 10 minutes of "Oh no who is this invading
my space.... don't like it....... run away into my corner,
simply glued itself to my leg, sat on m foot, looked up as if to say "well you gonna pet me or not"

Love guard dogs like this... lets you enter... But you can never leave.....

Anyhoo brake pipes replaced, anti roll bar rubbers etc  etc done and I got to thinking about the home i grew up in.

As, although at the time it seemed simply normal, I now realist that I had a very eventful, if frugal, upbringing as my father ran this scrap yard cum garage and my mother was very inventive in she spent what little money we had.

But where the Great Dane comes into the story is that we always had animals..... Many and varied.... very varied....... and sometime far to many.....

Would come home from school find.... pigs, goats, turkeys, rabbits, horses, an avery full of finches and monkeys.( good story about the monkey and the finches but that's for another post)... usually one species at a time but on occasion....
Dad sort of looked after things for people, only way I can explain it really, so 200 rabbits would turn up for a couple of month and then be gone... and then maybe some pigs rutting around for a week or three etc

Dad like liked BIG dogs so we have several Great Danes, Alsatians on a couple of Rotties and mum liked small dogs.... toy poodles, Chihuahua's etc 
Better than watching the telly some time watching a Chihuahua tie a Great Dane up in knots...

Anyway it just reminded me that I had more toys to play with than other kids even if they were not real toys, in the usual sense, but cutting up an old car with a gas axe when your nine is great fun...

And then there was this one bonfire night when dad had stacked a couple of cars he wanted to burn out for scrap..... but he forgot about one petrol tank.... 
I learnt that cars can fly........ right through the neighbors fence.

Yes folks you are right there were often times when my parents did not talk for a while and other times when Mum was very skilled in a different way of using a frying pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment