Saturday 28 March 2015

Embarrassed by your Parents

Just a quick one this....

I worked as a Cellar man, for nearly five years, at the Ipswich Corn Exchange in the early 80's. Brilliant job but totally crap wages for the workload as for my last two years I would have a list of events one month in advance and on the day management would turn up with just the girls and the cash to run the bars.

I did everything.... ordered the stock..... I would assemble the mobile bar units.... clean the lines..... set up and rotate the stock...... you name it i did it...  even transported everything to wherever the event was happening, either within the complex or at one of the towns sports centre's or Christchurch mansion or "Faulty Towers" as we used to call the old council offices... wonder if I have any pension there... as the rules are now changing....

Anyway the (meant to be quick) story

I do get migraines occasionally and one day, about three years in, having a migraine.... not in work..... definitely not capable of dialling in sick.......

David ,the bars manager, rang up to check that I was OK....

Not a problem you might think......








As he had done this before........









But my father answered the phone.......









And he said.........









Paul...... Paul who...... and puts the phone down.......

Totally true story...... When I went into work the following day, and several days after.... everyone just kept saying "Paul... Paul who...." or "Who are You" and David was in stitches telling me what my father had said; as, of course, he had not told me anything....

You wanna guess the favourite comment on my leaving card a couple of years later.... you just don't live something like that down.....


No comments:

Post a Comment